Thursday, July 2, 2009

9th day - I never thought I'd be in Denmark

Dear Blog
We had a nice start this morning! We woke up at 4:20 AM, and we started the day. We had a nice typical cheese, salami, and bread breakfast with either tea, coffee, or milk (tea for me). Then we hopped on the bus not too far from Menena's house.
On the bus trip, we saw some nice sites, and I really couldn't decide what pictures I wanted to post. So I chose two at random. Much of the Scandinavian area is powered by windmills (wholly). So, I thought a nice cluster of windmills were appropriate. After figuring out what and where we had to go, we were there! Kobenhavn (Copenhagen), Danmark (Denmark)! I liked this place soo much more than Oslo, Norway. The people, the diversity, the spirit. Just great!
Our first mission after settling into Cab-inn Hotel (another story later), we wanted to see the most popular site. The Little Mermaid. Yeah, this is where the story began centuries (or a century) ago. It was good luck to touch the feet of the mermaid, so you know I had too! But it was really hot due to the sun, so it burned my hand, and I tripped into the water as I was leaving... so I'm not exactly sure when that good luck kicks in, but I'm ready for it! :)
Another key worthy point about Copenhagen is the bike trail. Check it out! It's like Sidewalk, Bike Path, and then street... all on different altitude levels. I think it's cool! Oh, and with the extra money I had left over, I bought a palace. See it right behind me? Ok, not really, but it was a big building that was photo worthy.
Andres saw the Guinness Book of World Records Museum, so we stopped by. I stood by the tallest man, and ate with the heaviest man. How luck am I?
As I said earlier, Copenhagen is a really cool place, with interesting architecture and very touristy at least this time of year. Even some of the grafitti is pretty cool. Check this one out, Nice colors, stands out, but without being an eye sore.
We were walking for about 5 hours before we decided, "we need a break!" So we went back to the hotel, took a rest, and headed back out. This time instead of towards the touristy side, we saw lots of people on the otherside of the river. I didn't know what awaited us there, but we were on a mission for pizza. We walked to that side of the river, and we walked a few blocks. I noticed in the corner of my eye, there was the word pizza on one of the doors. Wow, it was amazing that we found pizza (@ 9:30PM, everything seems to close early around here, even though still daylight). So we walk in, and only one of three guys spoke english, and they almost didn't take our Euros (they didn't take our credit cards). But it was a nice little local pizza place where one slice was two thin crust pizza sandwiched together. Andres had pepperoni, my mom had just cheese (couldn't explain vegetables to them), and I had random meat (I said "different" meat, and they must've given me lamb meat). It was delicious. But it was definitely a poorer side of town, and much more local side of Copenhagen. I like to take adventures, but without someone to push me, like my mom, in this instance, I usually don't. But then how would I get to experience great things like this?
We walked back when the sun started to set, around 10:30 or 11 PM. We came back, and this hotel room is cramped! Not only that it is like boiling hot in here without A/C. But even though I have complaints about this hotel room, this one day trip to Copenhagen has been a much better success than I would have imagined. Maybe it was the timing, maybe it was the people, maybe it was nothing, but I enjoyed myself today, and that's that!
- ETdoFresh

2 comments:

  1. On 'Who Wants to be a Millionare' today:
    Which of these countries in the European Union does not use the euro as its offcial national currency?
    A. Germany
    B. France
    C. Austria
    D. Denmark

    Without hesitation, I guessed D. Denmark ... and was correct! Thanks ET!

    ...to bad the guy on tv didn't read your blog, he was unable to arrive at the correct answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I'm glad my experience helped someone somehow! Even if it's just to get a question right on a show! Hopefully that guy will find this page and learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete